Street Maintenance

Within the corporate limits of Laurel Park, the Town maintains 33 miles of paved roads, 1.75 miles of gravel and dirt road. NCDOT owns and is responsible for 3.5 miles of road.

Public Works Trucks

Maintenance Plan

The Town Public Works Department does a great job on smaller patch jobs, but does not have the equipment or manpower for larger projects. Potholes and other minor damage is repaired as reported, and as the Public Works schedule allows. Ditches and culverts are now cleaned as part of the annual maintenance plan for Public Works. Large projects are bid each spring, and with the contract generally awarded in June, for work to be complete by September.

Below is a map that shows the planned repairs through 2020. Please note that weather conditions and other factors may change the priority level of a road repair. In other words - sometimes a road will deteriorate faster than anticipated, and it will get moved up on the list.

Click here to view the map. **Note**  the file is large - please zoom in to view individual road names.


Funding for road maintenance comes from a combination of sources. Every time you fuel up with gas, a portion of the tax is allocated to municipalities for road maintenance, funding that is commonly referred to as "Powell Bill". In fiscal year 2015, the Town received $99,000.

Additional funding is provided through the property tax paid by residents. Beginning fiscal year 2016, the Town Council dedicated 3 cents of the property tax to road repair and storm drainage maintenance, from an appropriation of $106,000 a year to $222,000.  This includes the Powell Bill funding mentioned above. In FY 2019 the Town has dedicated $209,000 to roads and $85,000 to storm drainage repairs and maintenance.


Protect your underground utilities from damage. Since 1978 North Carolina 811 has provided you a fast and easy communications link with your local utility providers. You give us information about your excavation, we transmit the information to the utilities and then they send out locators to mark your underground lines for FREE.  So remember, call 811 or 1-800-632-4949 three working days before ​you plan on digging. *A Town ROW Construction Permit is still required if digging in the ROW*


Do you know where your property line is? Many property owners believe their property begins where their lawn meets the road, but in reality the Town Right-of-Way extends a distance beyond the edge of pavement. In most cases, property line issues come to light when a property owner tries to erect a fence, stone wall or basketball hoop on what they believe is their property.

Before you make an expensive mistake, be sure to have your property surveyed.

If you have any questions, please contact the Town Manager at 828-693-4840.

Here is the application to work in the Town's Right-of-Way.